Thursday, October 18, 2007

I don't want to close my eyes (although Carly says I can)

I'm just watching 'Armageddon' on TV. Of everything I ever achieved throughout my schooling, I consider the feat of watching it on my U6th Biology field trip and not crying one of my finest moments. Yes, it's far fetched and ridiculous. But Bruce pushes Ben back into the elevator thing and tells him 'I always thought of you as a son. I'd be damn proud to have you marry Grace.'

Ok, so perhaps if you imagine yourself to be 18 years old and surrounded by people crying you'd think it was more amazing.

I like the Aerosmith song on it. If you listen to the very end you'll hear a super arrangement of strings on it, which I don't imagine you hear very often on Aeromith songs.

So with that, here's October 07's playlist:

Biffy Clyro - Machines
I really like this. If you ask me the guy singing sounds Northern Irish and I'd bet you all the money in your pockets 'Grey's Anatomy' will use it sometime.

Newton Faulkner - Dream Catch Me
Newton is funny name to have isn't it? But what's funnier is his middle name is Battenberg. Maybe it's a double barrelled thing? [Which reminds me, I was doing the Nazi-Soviet Pact a few weeks ago with my Year 3s and came across officially the worst name ever. Reginald Ranfurly Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax (he was a low level British official sent to negotiate with the USSR. The Russians weren't interested. No wonder). Anyway, we have a winner, sorry Newton.]

Annie Lennox - Why
I just took a notion for this. I love the line is 'these are the contents of my head'.

Climie Fisher - Love Changes (Everything)
Not that dreadful Michael Ball Love Changes Everything song. No, no this is classic 80s pop. I don't remember the song from the time but from my Music class at school. We used to do GCSE past papers as practice but there weren't very many for us to do so we'd repeat them. A lot. In one paper (which we did again and again) they used a snippet of this song and we'd all have a sing song in the middle of the paper. Exam conditions? I think not. We then had to say whether it was classical, baroque, pop or country. Hard stuff eh? Anyway, Chris Moyles played it during the 40 Years of Radio One so in it goes.

Avril Lavigne - How Does It Feel?
I used a video on You Tube for a class recently about a girl called Maria Hertogh who was born to Dutch Catholic parents in 1937. Somehow (views differ) during the war she ended up in the care of a Muslim woman and was raised Muslim. There was a custody battle for her in 1950 and it led to riots here. Really interesting story. Anyway the song got in my head.

Carly Simon - You Can Close Your Eyes
She was on Oprah and sang this song. Beautiful piano. A-maz-ing.

4 comments:

Kaz said...

Hey Tina,

I'm goin' to see Mr Newton Battenberg Faulkner in December :)

Ruth said...

mr newton whats his face was on jo whiley'l live lounge today! i'd never heard of him before tho!

Brian Fisher said...

Hey Tina. I have a question and an observation.

OBSERVATION
I also think Biffy Clyro sounds N. Irish. Cant believe they're not.

QUESTION
I listened to the 30 seconds of Biffy Clyro's Monster that iTunes lets you hear. When I visited their website it sounded all different with a big orchestral thing going on.... is it the same version and I'm just not hearing enough in iTunes? (Maybe I should just spend the 79p to find out??)

Brian

Tina said...

After careful analysis I've decided it's the way he says 'how' that make him sound from NI.

I have no idea on the other thing but I'm hoping you worked it out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails