Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Getting my veg on

It's 4th January and I finally went to the supermarket and got me some vegetables. With being sick the few days I wasn't in much eating form, so I got by on cheese and tomato paninis, baked beans and a jacket potato, and poached eggs. It hasn't been a wildly exciting start to #meatfreejanuary but it has been meat free, which I think you'll agree is the important part of the challenge. (If you click on the link you'll see there's a girl in Finland who is also tweeting using that hashtag. Umm...hiya!)

Tonight I had butternut squash curry, which was a major step up in the excitement stakes. It was really tasty, although turned a bit mushy. So far I haven't really missed eating meat or, as I like to call it, proper food. But I realise that might change. I think there's a real danger of getting bored with vegetables, especially if you're stuck in a panini-beans-eggs rut like I have been.

So I popped along to Tesco and got some supplies for the next few meals.

Tomatoes, spinach, chillies, ginger, cumin, garam masala,  Greek style yoghurt, lemon, red onion, garlic, chickpeas, refried beans, chestnut mushrooms and spring onions. Boom! As they say in veggieland.
It's like a bag from Ready Steady Cook. Well Fern, I'm going to make mushroom and chickpea burgers (thanks Karen for tweeting this idea) and chickpeas with tomatoes and spinach. The refried beans were for emergency enchiladas, you know, just incasies.

I'll let you know how it goes, but you probably already knew that.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails