Tuesday, January 31, 2012

No seriously, still here, still meat free

I didn't really want January to be only about #meatfreeJanuary but as I'm now in the final twenty minutes of meat free January it would seem remiss of me not mention it. Again.

So yes, I'm still a vegetarian. I actually quite like it. It's really not that hard, and despite her best efforts Jud hasn't made me miss eating meat at all. That said, I won't do it forever. Or probably even one more day. Well it's a bit of a faff, isn't it? Especially when you go out somewhere.

My last day as a vegetarian included a Veggie Patty Subway.

This photo is from Subway's website here. It's a wholesome slice of goodness. Apparently.

I just read the ingredient list there and truthfully, I had no clue what I was eating. I mean, it was nice, don't get me wrong. When I ordered it I had fun because the guy asked me did I want him to change his gloves as he'd just made a chicken somethingorother for the customer before me. 'Yes please, that'd be great.' I'm such a vegetarian! Well he offered and and I wasn't about to fall at the last hurdle by getting some chicken juice on my veggie Subway. Dinner tonight was a lovely Moroccan cous cous dish with halloumi cheese (or squeaky cheese as it is more affectionately known). It was very nice, though there was a bit of a tomato shortage which was unfortunate. Definitely could have done with more.

I think the best thing has been trying out different recipes and challenging myself to eat new things. I loved spinach pie and will make it again for sure. Cannellini bean bolognese was delicious too and the chick pea burger thing was definitely worth making again. Actually there were loads of things I loved. Quorn tacos were lovely, and despite a few people on Twitter saying Quorn was rank/cardboard/sick-inducing I liked it. I only had Quorn once the whole month which wasn't too bad and I never, not once, had tofu. Huh. Makes you wonder if I was a real vegetarian at all.

[Quorn is an interesting thing to me. I don't understand it. How does it taste of different types of meat? What's it made of? I read this article and it didn't make me feel any better about it, especially the bit about being 'safe for human consumption'. I never want to see it being made. Just like I never want to go inside an abbattoir.]

So what will I do now? Maybe #meatfreeMonday (or another day by special arrangement)? Maybe.

As for February's challenge? Well Ruth suggested #saladfreeFebruary. It's still on the cards.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails