Tuesday, February 21, 2012

If Jed and Birgitte ruled the world...

I know, a two week hiatus on here. No one is more disappointed in me than me.

So what has moved me to blog after 15 days of inactivity? One word: Borgen. I know what you're probably thinking, but let me explain. Borgen is a Danish political drama and it is just fantastic! The West Wing is rated pretty high on my TV favourites list (scratch that, it's top of the list), and I can't think of another political drama that I've even watched, much less loved. (No, wait, I did watch some of that Geena Davis Commander-in-Chief. Terrible, truly terrible.) But the four episodes I've watched of Borgen I've loved.

My good friend Rebekah (and now, purveyor of TV shows I should watch) told me to watch it. I caught it just before it disappeared from iPlayer. Now, sadly for you if you haven't watched it it's already been on TV and no longer available on iPlayer. But do look out for repeats or a showing on BBC2. [The Guardian did a review of it here, if you want to know more about what it's about.]

A lot more intrigue and political wheeling and dealing goes on in Borgen than The West Wing, and of course the biggest difference is that it's subtitled into English. Every so often a stray English phrase sneaks in to an otherwise Danish sentence, like 'fifteen minutes of fame'. Much like the French have no phrase for cul-de-sac, the Danish don't have a phrase for fifteen minutes of fame. Also, I'm pretty sure I've learnt the Danish for Prime Minister - States Minister. See, this programme is really improving my Danish.

Names are tricky to follow sometimes, and I'm not entirely sure how they pronounce some of them. And place names. Oh the place names! I enjoyed this one so much I rewound it to take a screenshot.

Middelfart, of course, means central passage because it connects Jutland and Funen.
Should I ever go to Denmark (it looks just gorgeous in the show) Middelfart is on my list of places to visit. Just for a picture by the sign of course.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails