Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Making an effort

I'm tired. I have already fallen asleep twice since I got home but have things to do so I am still awake.

Anyway I know it's been a while, and I have a shedload of things to tell you and photos to show you but I'm tired (see above) so I will keep this short.

Quite in contrast to last week, I have had a good week. Today it was all capped off with two of my students getting two, count them, two of the three Year 1 prizes for the end of the year. One of them wasn't that much of a surprise (although I am pleased for him obviously). But the other one? The other one nearly made me cry.

I might have told you this story, not on here, in an email or face to face but if not I'll give you the highlights. A bad wee rip of a boy got transferred from another class to my class back in March. I wasn't impressed. Actually I made a pretty strong case as to why he shouldn't be moved to my class. He threatened to upset the carefully crafted balance.

But just like a cheesey Hollywood movie, he has turned himself around, improved his grades and as a result is the proud winner of most improved effort prize. I don't claim to be the difference (aside from anything else, sometimes he can still be far from the perfect student!) He is the difference. He did it, they are his grades.

But sometimes I love my job.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails