Sunday, August 17, 2008

Just you wait

This week I've been watching a lot of the Olympics. The Olympics is pretty much the backdrop to this week. So much so I don't really know what to do when it's 6.00pm and coverage is over. Thank goodness the highlights come on at 7.00pm.

It's been so exciting though. And Britain are doing so well! 3rd in the medal table, only behind the big guns of China and the USA!! I doubt we'll stay there by the end of it but still! Coming from the relatively recent misery of Atlanta this is big stuff! 

As you'll no doubt be aware, if you've even just caught 3 minutes worth of coverage, the 2012 Olympics are in London.

This has two responses by the media (and indeed Joe Public):

1. 'Wowzer, imagine what we are going to do come 2012...home crowd support...more experiences athletes...younger athletes catching the dream.'

2. 'How are we ever go to match these Games?...there's no way they'll be as good.'

I fall into the former. (Was there ever a doubt?)

I think it's about time the negativity stopped. I, for one, am fed up with it. Britain, all too often, has a bad attitude. Just look at what happens to celebrities. We build them up to knock them down. And what's worse, we take some sort of perverse pleasure in doing so.

I think it's about time we all started talking about how fantastic the London Games are going to be, to build the excitement and anticipation. I read this article interviewing Seb Coe and it fills me with confidence (mostly about the Opening Ceremony). 

You should read it too. And make the necessary attitude adjustment, if required.

3 comments:

duke said...

Any time you mention the olympics Tina you are going to get a comment from me, I love them. On thursay when I woke up to get my results my first thought was, "man, I'm going to have to miss the rowing,". I can't wiat till london 2012 because it means I can watch it without getting up early.

Tina said...

Are you not gutted now the rowing is over Chris?!

I kind of like the odd hours, I think staying up is half the excitement!! Mind you, 2012 means we can potentially see it in the flesh!

duke said...

I am but at the same time it means I don't feel the need to get up at 8.30am. It was immense to watch though. I wish the cyclying was still goinging but it finished today. I think I might begin to follow the canoeing

Related Posts with Thumbnails