Sunday, January 25, 2009

Open apology

Dear Nicky,
I am sorry I have not made it to one meeting regarding Soul Mates 09. As you might have been aware, I was quite ill just before the last one. That has been well documented on here (or at least as well as it should be for any bokeaphobes).

However, today you had organised a prayer meeting for the event and my presence might have been missed. I did intend to go (even though it was at the rather premature time of 2.00pm) so let me explain why I was not there. 

I have taken to cooking, but sadly not like a duck to water. Last week was my first week of trying recipes from Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food. I made griddled fillet steak with horseradish sauce, new potatoes and green beans with garlic and parmesan.


I think you'll agree it turned out quite well. And yes, you are right, that is fresh rosemary on the fillet steak. How very astute of you to recognise it.

Last week had been so successful that I was encouraged to make another recipe this week. Put off somewhat at the cost of fillet steak (the credit crunch claims another victim) I thought I might go for a cheaper meat such as mince. Lo and behold, there was a recipe for lasagne right there on P169. It looked a fairly complex recipe for a novice like myself, but stirred on by the triumph of griddled steak I proceeded to amass the ingredients.

This morning I awoke ready to start in to the chopping and simmering as directed. There was a brief hiatus as I checked my email, but it was more the chopping that got me late. I had to chop a lot of things and not being quite adept with a knife I was slower than I had allowed for. There was also a short delay as I glanced the knife with my thumb but it didn't bleed too much and I was quick with the kitchen roll and plaster.

The dish progressed from that point on fine, all until I had to blanch the pasta. Jamie said to do it for 3-4 minutes in water and oil, then drain in a colander and pat dry with kitchen roll. This is where the whole thing became unstuck. Well, actually stuck. In the blanching, the pasta had stuck to each other and was ripping apart. There's no denying that this is when the possibility of me even leaving for the meeting slipped away. More boiling of the pasta didn't help and I had to call in rescue services to go down the road to get more. So the lasagne was in the oven late, out of the oven late, served late and because we were only finished lunch at 3.10pm I never made it.


That said, it does look exactly like Jamie's one on P168 (although much less burnt that his). And again you are right, fresh basil leaves on top. Your herb recognition is really top notch!


This is the Mediterranean chopped salad (P123) I made as well. Although it should not receive any of the blame for my no show. It was nothing but a joy to work with.

Once again, I am terribly sorry for not making it today. Please know that I am praying for the event and the children that go. Do not take my, thus far, non-involvement as a sign that I do not want to be involved. Probably best not to have me cook for the children though.

Hopefully I'll see you and the family soon. Maybe I should have you round sometime, although I don't see a recipe for Enchiladas in Jamie's book.

Warm regards and kind thoughts,
Tina xxx

1 comment:

Kaz said...

These all look great chick, I'm going get stuck into the old budget cooking this week hopefully.
I think I might start adding to my blog about the marathon training like you mentioned, watch this space ;)
K

Related Posts with Thumbnails