Saturday, August 28, 2010

Andy Williams has let himself go a bit

My mum got a new computer this week. It's very exciting! She's gone back to Mac, her computer roots. Forever and a day my mum had a Mac. She had a Classic II, then there was one with a coloured screen (actually that was the one I used in university), and then there was the first of two of the famous coloured iMacs (Grape and Blueberry Mac geeks).
















Thankfully her new one is a bit more advanced that this.

Anyway, to help her out I have been showing her the ropes, as it were. Well she's good on computers, but with something new sometimes she can be all at sea. Now, in all fairness she's not like my dad with computers, who, when he held a mouse couldn't work it. (It kept moving down as he moved it up, and he had no clue the wire was supposed to come out the top of the mouse.) But this week I told Mum to go to a certain website, I can't remember why, it was part of her training. But she just looked at me like I'd asked her to fly to the moon by flapping her special wings. She said after it was because Safari looks so different. We'll not mention that the principle of address bar is same. And in the exact same place. But ok.

One of the things we did we did was transfer her music. But for reasons best known they were in all sorts of a mess. Albums split, no artwork, but album artwork in the music folder. We tried to use the useful 'Get Album Artwork' that iTunes has. While it helped for most, I can't help but feel it got some wrong. I took some screen shots from Cover Flow to illustrate some of the mismatches.






















Ok, close enough. I see what you were going for there, 60s and Soul were clearly the key words here.





















Again, solid attempt. But clearly you don't know my mum if you think she's into her karaoke hits.





















Hmm. Not sure what you aiming for here, iTunes. Blues Sound Good Vol. 1? For future reference God will usually refer to a Christian album.





















Andy Williams has never looked like this. Or that guy in the Hawaiian shirt.

But the best one has to be this effort. Again you can see what iTunes was thinking.





















This is wrong on many, many levels iTunes.

At this point I feel it my daughterly duty to say (and before she bans me from her new shiny computer for posting this) that the album my mum, of course, actually has this Vineyard one. You knew that, I knew that, iTunes didn't know that.

Right must go, been listening to too much of my mum's music. For the past while it's been Glenn Miller.

'Pennsylvania 6-5000!'

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails