Monday, August 16, 2010

SW19 is the only sporting postcode I know (which is handy for this post)

I know, I know. Wimbledon seems like light years away now doesn't it? Heck even Castlewellan seems like ages away now. Didn't I mention before that August was my half month of blogging?! Yeah, late start but I'm on it now! So to kick things off here are the photos of Wimbledon!


At the famous flower bed!

This is the camera that take the shot of the big screen and all the crowds on Henman Hill.

The Order of Play board was looking a bit thin on it.

Thankfully, we already had our tickets, but this is the ticket resale queue at approximately 10.40am. On men's semi-finals day, with Andy and Rafa playing, you'd have to be determined to get into Centre Court. And these people were.

After wandering about the grounds for a bit, we made our way to check out our seats. We had guessed (and were hoping we were right) that they were right beside where the players walk out. And they were!! 

Just through there they come!


Me pointing at the exciting match that isn't going on in front of me!


Soon Sue and the boys were doing the pre-match build up!


The first match was Berdych against Djokovic. Berdych stole my dream of seeing Federer getting beaten but like my mum said during the quarterfinal when Berdych beat him, it was for the greater good. I would have loved to have seen Roddick too, but alas it wasn't to be!

The new roof was not needed! A bright sun shiny day!

All too soon the match was over and all attention turned to wait for...Beckham to arrive. Every press camera in the place turned to where he was due to enter.

Yeah, ok, so my camera turned too. In fact we started Beckhamwatch monitoring his every movement. He seems a very nice dad, taking photos of Brooklyn and ruffling his hair the way only a dad can!

There was a lot of talk after Murray lost that Beckham was a curse, you know after the World Cup and everything. Well I can reveal that at the beginning of the third set David Beckham left the court (presumably for the bathroom) and missed, MISSED Murray break Nadal!


We were so close to them serving it was actually awkward to take a photo of them as they walked towards us. Murray especially seemed to be looking right at us, like making eye contact and everything. It did seem the right moment to pick up the camera as he replayed in his mind the backhand return that he just fluffed.

I really couldn't decide who I wanted to win, but came prepared for both sides! Depending on who was up at our end I would hold the appropriate sign (although less of the Uncle Toni because I got embarrassed!). It would have been brilliant if Andy Murray had got through, but I've got a soft spot for Nadal! We were close enough to get autographs signed at the end of both matches, we were on TV at the end of the first semi. And excitement of excitements I got Rafa to sign the Uncle Toni sign! Amazing!

This is my favourite press photo! There I am with my British flag!!

Go on Rafa!

In the end, as you might already know, Berdych and Nadal won through to the final. The only slight disappointment I had was that it was over so soon. A nice 5 setter would have been great. (Or Roddick beating Federer in the first semi!)




Murray Mound was a bit depressing afterwards.

After the semis were over we got a nice doubles match to watch.




Martina Navratilova and Jana Novotna! Not a bad way to make up for the somewhat earlier than liked finish!


It was on a bathroom break that I bumped into Clare Balding! She was shocked by it. Or maybe just that I'd even asked for her picture!

And so to finish, two of my favourite videos of the day!

The signature move by the line court judges:




And match point (with the famous wedgie pick! And some fine, fine camera work from me!)





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails