Thursday, April 28, 2011

Wedding fever

I don't think there's an easy way to say this so I'm going to just come out and say it: I'm a little bit excited about the wedding tomorrow! Phew! I feel better now! I like a national event and weddings, who doesn't like weddings?! Mum and I just made some food for the occasion: Pall Mall-teser buns, Westminster Squares and Tiara buns and we've co-ordinated wake up times to watch the build up. That said, some of the BBC presenters are my least favourite but you could hardly watch it on ITV (even with no adverts). I was remembering earlier watching Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew's wedding, which happened the day after my 6th birthday. We watched Smoky and the Bandit afterwards, probably to appease my brother who had sat through most of it too, which, if I remember rightly, is something to do with Sally Field as a runaway bride. Nice bit of scheduling there.

Last week Dad and I took a little trip to London and it was cool to see the setting up for the big day was going on nearly ten days beforehand. We walked down Pall Mall and past the Palace and later in the day saw the Abbey.


For all their 'ra ra Republic' and 'hurrah for our President', Americans do love a royal occasion.



The studios were already set up across from the Palace. Glorified portacabins.

Meanwhile the barriers were about to go up down the Mall (the green truck).

Excitingly a horse and carriage passed us when we were walking up the Mall. It may (or may not) have come out of Clarence House. By the time we got to the Victoria Monument, it was circling back around. I don't care what you say, I think they were practising for tomorrow! It stopped at some traffic lights and so we waiting for it to pass us to try to get a photo of it in front of the Palace...

Closer, getting closer, get ready, get ready...

Damn you taxi!! I shook my fist at you!

Later in the day we were walking past the Abbey and, like the Victoria Monument, some sort of staging was going up right opposite. But check out where...

Oh aye, block the Methodists' view, that's fine, don't you worry about us. You and your 'established' church! Huh! (Actually, I've read since that Sophie Raworth's station is on the roof of Methodist Central Hall so we must fine with it then.)

Looking behind as we walked down the street I turned to look back at the Abbey and wondered how different the scene will look on the day.
Tomorrow afternoon, after it's all over, I might go out on my roller skates. I probably would have done when I was 6, except Smoky and the Bandit was on. 


Best check the Radio Times then before I make any plans then.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails