Sunday, April 17, 2011

The name's Nadhaswaram?

I had a solid week there of not doing very much. I've fallen in the trap of thinking I don't have very much to do, when actually when I think about it there's loads to do. But instead of working through my to-do list, I worked through The Good Wife.

I've started working through my iTunes because it was in a state. I don't really know why. It started because I was at the points of not having the music I wanted on there because I was running out of space. Then I discovered that the genres were all over the show. [One of my last days in uni I saw this flyer for student elections. This girl wanted different band nights in the Union.

She was also proposing a different spelling of genre. Not really surprised, different spelling has clearly been in Johanna's breeding.]

Anyway, back to my iTunes genres. I discovered I had Electronica & Dance and Electronica/Dance. Now, I don't really know much about the Electronica and/or Dance world, but I think I could safely say they could be put under the same genre. Also, with Hip hop/Rap and Hip-hop/Rap, I didn't think the Hip hop fraternity would mind if I amalgamated them with their hyphened counterparts. I did struggle over Pop/Rock and Rock/Pop, but haven't changed it just yet because a track might just be more rock than pop, but have important pop undertones which must be recognised, or indeed vice versa. But is it too much to ask for a consistent spelling of Soundtrack. One or two words I'm sure is fine, consistency is the key.

iTunes seems to choose genres all by itself too. Like, Coldplay seem to straddle a lot of different genres. That's ok, I get that. I can see how a band might produce albums that are Rock, Pop, Live, Christmas, Alternative & Punk, and just plain Alternative. Biffy Clyro are the same: Indie, Alternative Rock, Alternative & Punk and Alternative. That's fine, I can see that. Far be it from me to confine your musical greatness to one genre. I did get the biggest laugh of all though when I got to Savage Garden (oh come on, what girl growing up in the late 1990s didn't love a bit of 'I Knew I Loved You'?!). A pop classic surely? No, iTunes put them firmly in the Rock camp. I think not. But then iTunes had also marked Abba and a-Ha as Rock, so if that's your yardstick, then Savage Garden would also come under that umbrella.

Then there are times when iTunes just got lazy and marked an artist as 'Other'. Like the Foo Fighters. Really iTunes? And Gwen Stefani? Yeah, ok, fair enough, if ever an artist was to be labelled 'other' it's probably her. I did find iTunes' definition of the MTV Unplugged album as '0' interesting. But then it was clear to me: zero plugs, therefore the genre zero. Duh.

And of course I had the same problem my mum had back in the summer of iTunes finding album artwork. Just look at this one.

I didn't even know there was a Best Of.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails