Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Brussels baby

It's a wonder the Friends people didn't film their special in Brussels; Brussels Baby as quite the ring to it.

Anywho, much like Lyon and Strasbourg the reasons and content of my trip there are unblogable. But not the photos!

I saw this postcard on my way home. Pleased to say I  had a typical experience. Except for whatever that is  middle left.
Belgian Waffles! (I didn't eat all of these, but I could have if challenged.)

Of course we visited the European Institutions.

Ra ra Europe!

It seems to me that no matter where you are in the world, there's always an Irish pub around the corner. Except in Ireland, where we just call them pubs.

There was an important looking press conference about to take place outside. No idea what about! Don't be concerned about the rubbish, see next photo)

It's art, silly! This is a monster made from plastic bags, showing the waste that is involved in using them.
Belgium has some interesting art. And some things they think is art. Like this piece in a metro station.

I don't really know what this represents, or why there's a child's foot poking out of one end.
And of course there's the more famous example of Manneken Pis. (Click on the Wikipedia page to see him dressed up. The judo outfit is a particular favourite.)

I don't get it. Although I have seen it every time I've ever been to Brussels. Ever the tourist, me.
I like that the chocolate shops in the streets around it really capitalise on it too.

There's a reason why the original is so small. Some things you don't need to see enlarged (or made into a chocolate replica, for that matter).




Well eating and peeing is just wrong. And he'll want to be careful where that flag drapes.


We also saw the Belgian Palace. Nice.
The un-touristy view of Belgium was quite exciting too, of course. Not least because of this in a newsagents.

It must be just like Bella!
Also, Fair Trade Cola on sale in regular shops. That's something I'd like to see here.
In the train station on my way home I noticed something I hadn't really paid attention to before. People with little dogs.


This woman was in Quick (well if you're going to have fast food, best make it local) And her little dog was there too! In a restaurant (and I use that term loosely).
And then at the departure gate another one! I mean really.
So do Belgians have a great love for little dogs that they're allowed most anywhere?

Anyway, a good time was had by all. And just in case there was any doubt about the work that was done, let me show you the garden of where we were staying.

There wasn't even a pool in this place. Fa-chaa!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails