Wednesday, July 02, 2008

London Baby!

In the space of 12 days I was in London three times. I am so cosmopolitan!

Here are the highlights of the visits (in approximate order of occurance):

-Going to the National Gallery and Tate Modern and pretending to be all artsy. We did see some famous pieces but I think the whole thing was summed up by my quote 'oh look, there's that one there', recognising it but not knowing who it was by or what it was called.

-BBC tour. I heart the BBC so doing a tour of Television Centre was uberexciting. As we stood in that roundabout bit, my mind kept flashing back to the good old days of 'Going Live' when they used to stand out there doing bits. We were in an empty TV studio, played with the weather map, watched the News Centre and then got to 'make' a TV show. Plus we got a free pen!


Coldplay were standing right here just days earlier.

-Wimbledon.

Who knew that Wimbledon Common had a windmill?! This is me being a windmill, not practicing semaphore. 


We queued ridiculously early but were rewarded with tickets to Court 2! Standing in line for over 3 hours passed remarkably quickly. I think it was the freebies that helped (chewing gum, water, Robinsons juice, strawberries, sunscreen...).

I love copying statue poses. Fred Perry was a little man it seems, much like King Billy.


Next time I go, I'm going to be sure to carry my tennis racquets around to see if anyone asks for my autograph. This could be an actual player, but if you ask me, he's a commoner. Look at the shorts. Doesn't he know the All England only allow white on court? School boy error.

Court 2 Order of Play. We saw Anne Keothavong, the Brit girl win, Davydenko, a top seed lose, Lindsay Davenport play her only match this Wimbledon and James Blake...win.

This is one of the score boards at Court 2, called the crow's nest because it's so high up. I decided that the woman in the sunglasses looked a bit like Pam Shriver. I was further encouraged when I saw from her microphone she was working for ESPN.


This started what affectionately became known as PamWatch.


You thought I was joking...Pam from the back!

Pam, bless her, signed my programme and stood for a photo. I think it was more out of shock, she probably hasn't been asked for an autograph since 1989. Don't worry Pam, I know who you are! You were one of my favourite pundits on 'Today at Wimbledon'!

Another photo with a 'star', ok fair enough Richard Williams didn't know I was taking our photo! He was waiting to get on Court 3 to watch his daughters play doubles.

A bit later on, we were hanging around the Broadcast Centre and a couple of women were looking up at a studio. I asked who they were looking at and they said 'Martina is up there!'. And sure enough, I looked up and saw Martina Navratilova (doubles partner of Pam don't you know!) getting her hair sprayed and combed, presumably during a break. Anyway we stood and watched for a minute and while the women were not looking she turned round. Seeing as now I was the only one looking up, I kind of waved. And she waved back! That's right, Martina and I waved at each other!

-The Cabinet War Rooms. I went there when I was about 16 but since then they have opened the Churchill Museum, so I wanted to go back.

Looks like a toilet. That's where you'd be wrong! That's what it's supposed to look like, but behind this door was the phone where Churchill spoke to Roosevelt on the secret transatlantic phone. It's like a little office, the only thing that looks like a bathroom is the door, Churchill did not speak to Roosevelt on the bowl obviously.

-Wimbledon again. A free evening and what better way to spend it than back at SW19. This time I was in Court 1 and watched Marat Safin. 

Me and the court.

Being on a big court was quite exciting because of the challenges to calls. 
I didn't participate in the 'oooooooooooh' for fear that would be all you'd hear!

At the end, I saw them film 'Today at Wimbledon' with John McEnroe! And of course John Inverdale!

A quick scurry back to NI brought me back in time to share in Owen and Dyanne's wedding party. Dyanne looked a-maz-ing! And I single handingly managed to insult Owen twice in about two minutes. Sorry. But congratulations to you both!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails