Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I feel like a blog

Not actually me I suppose, I feel like writing one. Mostly because I have work I should be marking, but as that doesn't really need done yet I'm holding off. Some might say dossing, but iI'll stick with my first choice of holding off.

I like it when Tuesday is over with because those are my worst days. Well Thursday isn't pretty either but it feels better because once it's over it's Friday and who doesn't like Fridays?! Actually I've never liked Thursdays. Even in Primary School I can remember not like Thursdays, even though we had craft on Tuesdays and Thursdays and craft was my favourite. I think it must be something to do with being so close to Friday and not actually being Friday. Anyways, I think I am waffling now because today isn't even Thursday, it's Tuesday. But boy, what a Tuesday!

I don't think I could cope with an election as long as America has. I suppose that's one of the benefits of the 'call-it-when-you-think-you'll-win' power of the Prime Minister (I'm sure this has a better name that I can't think of right now). Everyone has known this election has been coming and so for nearly two years candidates have been publically campaigning. When I was there last week it was impossible to turn on the TV, listen to the radio, or drive 100m without seeing or hearing something about it. I'm sure you've seen those political adverts, typically with the deep voice. They were All. Over. The. Place. And just by the way, I don't know much about Kay Hagan, but they don't like her round my neck of North Carolina. Although given that it's Hicksville Central that's hardly a big surprise. But I am very excited my adopted state may go blue for the first time since Jimmy Carter!! North Carolina: Not quite as south as...well South Carolina.

When I was there I was surprised to hear from my ex co-workers that they can vote early. They voted a full two weeks ago. Apparently they reason for it is to stop big lines trying to vote on the actual election. But here's the thing I don't get - America is about the 24 hour convenience. Plenty of stores are open 24 hours. Ok, so Wal-Mart and grocery stores and that, but still. In North Carolina the polls are open til 7.30pm. Eh hello? Stay open longer! Or have more polling centres. Revolutionary ideas here, I know. I mean, I suppose there's nothing really wrong in early voting but what is something major emerged in the last days and you wanted to switch? Nevermind the fact that corrupt officials could get up to some funny business. Well you never know! Plus, and I'm no expert, isn't there something in the Constitution that picks out the date for the election. The Tuesday after the first Monday or something? Maybe I should draft an email to someone about this:

'Dear Sir/Madam, 
I was surprised to learn of your early voting opportunities....Whilst I agree with the need to get the vote out, as it were, I am concerned about the Constitutional ramifications of said early voting...Might I suggest you look into the possibility of longer hours at polling stations...or perhaps even more polling stations...We certainly don't want the Supreme Court deciding the outcome of an election because of Constitutional issues, as one would have to say that didn't work out so well last time...
I look forward to your response to this important matter,
Respectfully yours,
Tina'

So what else. Autumn Soul was at the weekend. Sadly, although I took my camera I didn't actually take any photos. I know, you're gutted. For the first time I was on the Prayer Team. Actually that's not true. Just the first time we didn't pray with anyone because the speaker went on that flipping long he sapped the life out of everyone there, so I don't think that counts. It was a great weekend though, made even better by staying with Nicky and Heidi and not a church hall floor. Heidi, even though she was in the final days of her pregnancy, offered me a bed! I made such a ruckus having a shower it was a miracle Bumpus didn't arrive early to hear what all the noise was about. Sorry...again.

Just like November 4th was a long time coming, so too was November 5th! But it's tomorrow! Good luck everybody, well really just Nicky and Heidi! And of course Bumpus!

1 comment:

meg said...

It was a Kay Hagan victory in N. Carolina! oh yeah my boy won too!! You know in case you didn't hear that any where!

Related Posts with Thumbnails