Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Shame

Anyone else ashamed to be from Northern Ireland today? I was.

It's 2009 yet we're going through immigration problems. I mean, really.

I was teaching a Citizenship class today and we talked about it. There was a feeling in the class that these people were taking what is rightfully ours. Ours?!

I tried to get over to them that perhaps they are just trying to provide for their families, something that is surely innate to all humans. Moving to where that's easier is something that our ancestors did during the potato famine, heck, even during the plantation. Yet now, we've become all precious about 'ours'.

Perhaps I have also been affected by the fact that I have lived abroad. No one ever questioned me, told me I was taking their jobs, threw a brick threw my window, or called me Irish scum. 

Moving abroad, away from what is familiar, away from family, away from everything you've ever known is one of the scariest things you can do. That in itself deserves a bit of respect. 

Nevermind that we're all the same.

The shame.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails