Monday, March 08, 2010

Presidents

This is the last trip story. I promise. I really have milked it haven't I?

So while I was in SC I got to go to Jose's university. It's your typical American college campus in a college town with a massive football stadium for their team. One of Jose's classes was an open discussion class which meant I could go to. As I had done a few other things around the area already I was up for that. Mind you, it was about sustainability so I really contributed nothing to the discussion. But I did get to enjoy the artwork in the way in.


The class was held in a building name after Strom Thurmond, a former governor and senator from SC, hence the presidential portraits. But can you guess from which party Strom was a member? Perhaps specific paintings will help?


George W. on his ranch, big American flag reminding us of his patriotism.


Bill Clinton (honestly it is supposed to be) with a flag, but somehow that's not what we look at. But look in the foreground. The dark shadows, the web and lipstick tell the story there.


Jimmy Carter. He's green and has lipstick on!


JFK. Has anyone ever seen an older picture of him? Wasn't he like 18 when he died? Why does he look like an old man with rosy cheeks?

Things are not looking good for Obama then. One can only imagine how he will be portrayed. Perhaps in front of a burning hospital, or maybe holding his Nobel Peace Prize in the middle of Afghanistan or Iraq.

To compound the problem things like these surely can't help him. I saw these in a town many many miles away from the Strom Thurmond Center.


The Gift of Hope! I want the gift of hope!


This is what he wears under his suit. True story.

Looking for something a bit more classy? Then look no further that this:


Every year we can celebrate the birth of Jesus and the inauguration of Obama together with this handy Christmas decoration.

But if those aren't...quite big enough then why not get your own life sized Barack?


I so wanted to take a self-photo with him! But it was packed so I just couldn't bring myself. Turns out my shame does know some bounds.

Even Michelle is not immune from it all.


I don't think her head is that big. And yes, you are right, those are First Lady mugs, hairbrushes, water bottles and pencils in the background.

It was hard, but I walked out of the shop without buying anything.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails