Thursday, September 22, 2005

Remember, remember

I'm pretty good at remembering things. There's a joke in our house which mocks my memory. If someone is recalling some past event and I chip in with another detail, someone (usually one of the parents, David isn't that obvious) will say 'it was a Tuesday' because I can associate days with what happened. Not my fault if you can't remember folks!

I can remember phone numbers and postcodes. I can sing along to a song I haven't heard in years. Earlier today I sang the 'Fun House' theme song (it's a real crazy show where anything can go!). I can quote lines from films. For instance, 'bollocks to him' - Sliding Doors. I can usually 'get' where I know an actor from within a few minutes. Recently I saw the policeman in 'Three Men and a Baby' in something and was pretty darn speedy in placing him!

I can remember dates too. I know my friends' birthdays from school even though I haven't seen them, let alone celebrated their birthday, in 10+ years. I also put that down to why I'm a (sometime) History and Politics teacher. Dates, places, events, no problem.

So why is it I'm so crap at remembering verses from the Bible and where they come from. Seriously I am AWFUL at it, I absolutely suck at remembering anything. I'm struggling even now to give you a verse now...let me think...hmm...got one, 'For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for good and not for evil, plans to give you hope and a bright future.' Jeremiah 29.11

Seriously proud of myself for getting that one. But why should I be? I should be ashamed. My bible knowledge is awful, shockingly awful. I should be able to quote more than 1 verse. I should be able to reel off whole chapters, if this is what I believe and am prepared to live and die for. Less of my brain should be devoted to storing the lyrics to kids' TV programmes, films and dates. More should be given over to God.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails