Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th

It is to our generation what Kennedy’s assassination was to our parents, everyone knows where they were when they found out. I was in the second week of TOM training and I had just arrived at a meeting in David N’s house. He answered the door with the words ‘America is under attack!’ I had just got back from summer camp and just two weeks earlier had been in Washington DC and New York City. We watched the TV for a while in abject horror before trying to have the meeting. I don’t think we got much covered.

A couple of weeks ago when I was down in Greenville the evening’s activity was the cinema. As is the often the way, there wasn’t one film everyone wanted to see so we spilt up. I ended up going to see ‘World Trade Center’ with Mellissa. It wasn’t something that I had particularly planned to see but I wasn’t opposed to seeing it.

It’s definitely not a popcorn sort of film. It wasn’t comfortable viewing and shares something in common with The Passion of the Christ in the regard. But, like The Passion of the Christ, it is worth seeing if you think you can manage it. It’ll put you back to that day and all the emotions that you went through. But it’s also quite a positive film, it shows you the power of the human spirit, how when you think you can’t go on, somehow you get the strength from above to do what you thought was impossible.

Rightly or wrongly a lot has happened in the five years since, but if you think you can watch it I strongly recommend that you see this film when it comes out. It’ll remind you how it all started, with ordinary people starting out on what they thought would be an ordinary day. That day changed things for everyone but so much more for some than others.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails