Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Buses, trains and Dom

Ross’ blog helped me decide what to write about today. Buses. I don’t like them. Trains, hurrah and huzzah for trains! Maybe it’s because I grew up in the ‘head, maybe it’s because we used to get the train to Belfast when we were little and it was an adventure, but there just something about them that if you have to travel with strangers in close proximity is better.

Now I am decidedly car-less, public transport is the way forward, literally. Singapore has a underground system called the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit). But alas, I can’t really use it for my transportation needs as they don’t have a station where I live or where I work. So it’s the bus for me.


Buses are hard for me to work out. First of all there’s the worry that I have just missed one, then that the next one might not arrive for three days, then when one does arrive I have a panic that I might have got on the wrong one. Then when I do get on, chances are I won’t get a seat. I have to watch for my stop and I always have the fear that I'll my stop incase. Even when I do see it coming I'm scared the bus driver won’t stop.

On my first day of proper teaching I thought I got off at the right stop, but no. Then, in my naivety I thought it was the next stop so I walked. Nope not that one either. Eventually I realised that the only thing for it was to admit defeat and get back on the next lucky bus 75 that came my way. Twenty minutes later I was stepping on that bus. Stress doesn’t even cover it. I barely made it in before the announcements in assembly. An auspicious start I think you’ll agree.

But I have discovered something that makes bus rides better. This morning, to celebrate my return to the world wide web, I listened to the Chris Moyles podcast. I tried in vain to hide my undulating shoulders as I laughed (nearly out loud) at the fake local radio interviews with bad sound. I actually think Dominc Bryne is hilarious. Go here to listen to it, about 20 minutes in.

It's coming up to the big hour of eleven o’clock. Bed time for me, I have to get up early for the ruddy bus.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails