Friday, March 09, 2007

Can you keep a secret?

I got an email from King Nicky today, ‘blog something about Soulmates’ it said. To be honest, even without this royal command I probably would have anyway, but now I must!

Soulmates (which must never be referred to as Junior Autumn Soul*) is an amazing event to be involved in. I say that even though I haven’t been there since 2004 (out of the country, remember?!).

The first year I went was 2000 after Autumn Soul Tour. To be honest I don’t remember that much about it, it was my first time stewarding anything, but obviously I must have enjoyed it. However, I do remember carrying heavy equipment down to another church where one of the seminars was with Linda and having to stop and put everything down because we were laughing so much.

Since then, I have had varying degrees of involvement, the last of which of course involved running a café, my speciality when it comes to Methodist events. Last time I was there, I also had the jolly task of trying to find the next contestants for SoulStars, the talent show. Searching through a hall full of 9-13 year olds and leaders as they chomp on hot dogs and run back and forth to the tuck shop to find Timothy from Inishowen who is going to play the tin whistle whilst Riverdancing does somewhat spoil the enjoyment of the entertainment highlight of the weekend! But then again, I got to stand with them before they went on stage when nerves took hold. Last minute rehearsals when it looked like nothing somehow got turned into something before going on stage. Ok, so not always but when it didn’t it, man, was it funny.


Every event that the Dept. does I think is my favourite publicity. But this is definitely my favourite.


Of course it’s not all fun and games and there’s the business end of the event. Seeing children realise God loves them no matter what is what it is all about.

Not that I suppose you’ll read this until after the event, but if you are going, I hope it all goes well and lives are changed. Who knows, maybe one of them will even be your own?

*I have been known to describe it as that – but only to Presbyterians so that doesn’t count!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails