Wednesday, August 01, 2007

A hop, skip and a jump

There are two podcasts that I regularly download, Chris Moyles and Sportsweek. I usually listen to them at the beginning of the week. I'm still listening to this week's Sportsweek. It's with David Davies as Garry Richardson is off on holiday. He's not as good if you ask me.

But anyway, this week on the line up was stuff about the Tour de France, Freddy Shepherd and Jonathan Edwards. 'Oh' I thought. I like him, he's always very sensible and well spoken about things, like drugs in sport...2012...God.

Just as David was rounding off talking to him, he referred to the fact he had 'lost his faith.' My mouth fell open, 'Jonathan Edwards not a Christian anymore?! Did I hear that right?!' (I have since discovered this 'news' is about a month old, but I'm out of the country!) I pressed my earphone into my ear, mouth open wide. And sure enough it seems during all that competing and training he was just on auto-pilot, believing what he was brought up to believe and not actually questioning why he believed what he said he did.

How sad is that? I mean, Christians all have doubts at one time or another but most of us come back. In the interview he didn't totally renounce God or call all Christians lunatics, he was very Jonathan Edwards about it, articulate and polite. And in some ways that makes it sadder. Because I think because of the way the man spoke about God and his faith did more to help others in theirs than any Harry Secombe 'Songs of Praise'.

I pray he comes back. And not because he's eloquent.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

i did not know that either. that is very sad

Related Posts with Thumbnails