Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Film 2008

Since arriving in the States, I have seen twice as many films as I did all the time in Singapore. And lucky you, I thought I would review them for you because, you know, my opinion matters.

Juno

Synopis: Teenage girl gets pregnant and decides to give up the baby for adoption rather than having an abortion.

Verdict: Actually very good. My synopsis probably makes it sound very dull and dramatic but it is funny. Ellen Page is brilliant and there’s a really good soundtrack. And not to get too serious, I hope it highlights to teenagers having sex what they are doing and the risks they are taking.

See it.

PS I Love You

Synopsis: Dead husband writes letters to his wife from the great beyond.

Verdict: Hmm…I didn’t read the book (and to be honest never will) so I cannot join the people who say ‘it’s not as good as the book’. Hillary Swank is good, fantastic wardrobe, very Holly Golightly-esque. But it kind of left me cold.

Don’t see it, there are far better movies to spend your money on. But I’m probably too late because you have already.

The Great Debaters

Synopsis: A black university professor trains his university debate team. But can they take on the white kids?

Verdict: Predictable but still good. The film was made by Oprah and it really does show the injustice in American society that existed at that time. There’s a little confusion with a farmers union storyline that falls between two stools for me. It should have been included more, or not at all.

Worth a look.

The Bucket List

Synopsis: Two cancer patients come up with a list of things to do before they kick the bucket.

Verdict: One of those films where you think you’ve seen it all in the trailer, and you have. Except for the actually funny parts. Made me think about death a lot and how getting old is just no fun. I still don’t like Jack Nicholson even though he had the best line in the film, where after having chemo he’s throwing up and looks at himself in the mirror and says ‘somewhere some lucky guy is having a heart attack.’

See it.


Charlie Wilson’s War

Synopsis: Charlie Wilson, a congressman, gains funding for the covert war in Afghanistan when the USSR invades in 1980.

Verdict: Brilliant. A serious topic, and one that I don’t really know a whole lot about. It has some brilliant lines in it. – you can tell it was written by Aaron Sorkin (West Wing man). Make sure you take note of the last scene…now there’s another fine mess you’ve got us into.

See it, especially to help understand Afghanistan now.

27 Dresses

Synopsis: Always a bridesmaid girl has been one 27 times, but will she ever walk down the aisle herself?

Verdict: Another film where you think you’ve seen it all in the trailer, but you have not. This film is laugh out loud funny and for a chick flick is not that predictable. One of those films you know you will own.

See it. Boys, I would even say it’s funny enough for you.

1 comment:

MinisterMoo said...

Thanks for your synopses (is that the correct plural?) - it's always good to be warned away from rubbish movies when movie-going becomes a relatively limited affair!

Related Posts with Thumbnails