Thursday, February 05, 2009

Lessons in being careful what you wish for

Earlier this week I was getting thoroughly hacked off with everyone in TV and radio talking about snow, how terrible it was, how much there was, how transport was affected, how people took days off, how £6 trillion was lost (which I hold was actually saved), how schools were off, how Lily Allen was out playing in it, how we should be careful driving in it. 

I'm sure I wouldn't have been so annoyed had we in NI had any. Maybe I was just annoyed at the mentality that London/South East England news is national news. Like that time some sort of smell drifted across the Atlantic. Not to me it didn't.

Anyway, aside from wishing for a more regional awareness from the BBC, I wished for snow. And today (depending on where you were of course) it happened. Kind of, but not really and I'll get to that later. 

I felt like I was in the West Wing...this is what today is going to be about.

It started with having to have 15 or so extra students in my class because they had no teacher, so that was that period out the window but then as more teachers made it in, more students decided they were off home. 

'There's no point being here Miss, we're not working.' 

That quickly descended into 'seriously Miss, we're not working today, there's like 10 people in our class!' 

Emm, actually there's 4 people not here so we're fine to carry on. 

'But Miss, it's snowing outside!'

And your point is....? Pretty sure it snows in Norway, in Sweden, in France, in Canada and yet they have fine schools that carry out lessons in such conditions.

And this bring me back to the start of this post, if the show off in England hadn't gone off on one about their 3 feet of snow or whatever it was, my students today wouldn't have thought it was so noteworthy as to suspend lessons.

I wouldn't have minded (and before you call me a Scrooge, or whatever the snow equivalent would be), but ours wasn't even decent snow.

2 comments:

Brian Fisher said...

Are you not planning on showing us your snow? I want to see it!!

Kaz said...

There was two school kids on the beak behind me in starbucks this morning haha :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails