Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Three for three

That never happens any more!

I'm watching the Brits by the fire pretending to 'work'. And by work I of course mean I'm dossing on tinternet and eating cinnamon lozengers. 

I would consider myself pretty mainstream but watching this has made me realise how much I'm not (and I don't say that to make me sound and cool and alternative. Clearly, I'm just about to make the move to Radio 2. Which means, by my calculation, Radio 4 is only ten years off. Oh boy.) Katy Perry got an award right at the start and I swear I'd never seen her before in my life. Kings of Leon are just off and I wouldn't be able to pick them out of an identity parade. And that's after having seen them.

My other thoughts on the 'British Music Industry Awards of the Year'.

-U2. Hate that song, beginning to dislike them too. Maybe they've always come across as arrogant and I just haven't noticed.
-Natalia Imbruglia. Seriously?
-How small is Jamie Cullum? He made Jamie Oliver look tall.
-Paul Weller? Is this a joke?
-How old is Duffy? Is it just me or does she look old? Oh my, she's only 24!! I feel bad now.
-Kings of Leon again. Maybe I will recognise them if this keeps up? Is it wrong to be suspicious when a big international star/band are there and win stuff? Same at the BAFTAs and the like.
-I'd like to have been a fly on the wall where they decided on Take That's performance.

As much as I'd like to continue this for the next hour, I really do have work to be doing. David Hasselhoff may have pushed me over the edge. Plus the cat needs letting in.

7 comments:

Kaz said...

brilliant post chick!
Duffy does look old, I was commenting on the same thing, she also appears to be a bit of a space cadette ;)
Indeed why were take that dressed like dr spock?!!

K

Kaz said...

Almost forgot, U2 song is crap, was very bored during that!
...never did like them!
Plus coldplay suck, and chris martin is a bit of a knob :)

Neil J M said...

Nice commentary, Tina, and pretty quick too!

I wish U2 would quietly bow out now before they, like so many other once-great bands before them, stomp all over their immense legacy with a slew of middle-aged posturing. Though for the record, The Edge still kicks a lot of ass.

As for the rest of the show? Well, we have religious extremism, economic ruin, environmental catastrophe and racial intolerance to cope with, but when Scouting For Girls are nominated for Best British Live Act, it's clear that the world is really ****ed.

Keep up the good blogging work!

NJM

Tina said...

Love you spelling of space cadette Karen! Much more feminine! But I do like Coldplay! That fact alone may keep me off Radio 4 for a few extra years!!

Neil, thanks for stopping by! Yeah, I'm no live music guru (obviously) but Scouting for Girls seemed an odd choice to me too. Do you think the ratio of British band/awards is skewed or something? It seemed like there all the same people were nominated time and again but then there were some crap nominations and indeed wins. Maybe that just means it's all crap?

Kaz said...

Yes well Karen and very feminine are words I often hear :)

Neil J M said...

My disgust at the Scouting For Girls nomination isn't due to their being a particularly poor live act per se - it's due to their being one of the worst bands in recent memory. They actually replicate their songs perfectly well in a live setting; it just so happens that said songs are plodding, repetitive, derivative, saccharine and utterly devoid of wit, wisdom or depth. Any hooks they do possess are swiftly bludgeoned into oblivion through incessant repetition of choruses ('She's So Lovely' being a standout example) and the kind of plodding piano accompaniment that makes them sound like a Chas & Dave tribute act on barbiturates.

As you've suggested Tina, their nomination is an indictment of British popular music in general. That the actual Best Live Act award was ultimately (and deservedly) won by a band that formed in 1975 - playing a style of music that has completely fallen out of mainstream favour - speaks damning volumes about the ever-swelling ranks of identikit bands polluting radio and television. I often wonder if the people who buy these kinds of records actually like music at all.

Okay, rant over! Thanks for an inspiring post!

NJM

Tina said...

No seriously Neil, don't hold back. Say what you really think! I should let you know, in the interests of full disclosure, that I have been known to sing along to Scouting for Girls. What I thought more interesting was the guy announcing the live act winner preceding it with his thoughts on how live music is worthless! Oops.

Related Posts with Thumbnails