Sunday, November 12, 2006

They shall not grow old

[First of all, tttttttttttttt! Yo!]

This is in two parts today.

Part One – Typical Tina story and observations
We grew up with Remembrance Day (like Memorial Day in the USA). My Grandpa and my mum’s dad both fought in the Second World War. But it was mostly because my Dad was a Scout leader that it was a part of our winters. My dad and my brother would march round to the Cenotaph with the rest of the scouts and me and my mum would scurry along with them. Once the local Cenotaph ceremony was over, my mum and I would dash home to watch the national ceremony. Later I also ‘marched’ as only Guides can. (We were big Baden-Powell fans in our house.)


This morning I went down to the local Cenotaph. There were a lot less people there than I remember but I suppose that’s what happens with time. But some things never change:

1. There will always be more Boys Brigade than Scouts. (Do they bribe them?)
2. The BB will always be better at marching than the Scouts. (Well that’s what they do of a Friday night, march.)
3. There will always be at least two Scouts with wild, curly, untamed hair. (One of these will be shoulder length, and one will belong to the leader.)
4. The BB’s uniforms will always be smarter and better turned out than the Scouts. (I’d say they are always dressed perfectly but this morning a BB guy was wearing brown shoes. Ha! This made me feel better when the next point happened.)
5. The BB will lay the wreath with military precision*. The Scouts may as well hurl it up there. (Today the Cubs messed it up. It’s not hard - walk up, stop, lay the wreath, step backwards, bow head, turn and walk away. Seriously, does no one ever run it through with them? Or maybe that’s why the younger ones do it so when they get it wrong there’s a general feeling of ‘uch sure they’re only young’. Not me though, I had to turn my laugh into a cough.)
*Military precision of old. Today in Whitehall the Chiefs of the Army, Navy and RAF caused confusion as they stepped forward ahead of the High Commissioners whose turn it actually was. They had to be Scouts.

All that said however, if I should be blessed with a son, he will never be in the BB if I have anything to do with it. Never underestimate the level of loathing between the BB and the Scouts.

Part Two – Deeper and maybe controversial

I was reading about the red/white poppy debate. I don’t really know what to think about it. Maybe I’m too much of a realist but and the idea of not having armed services to protect and defend us is ridiculous. That said war should never be the first choice, it should always be a last resort. I really don’t think there’s any more symbolism behind the red colour of the poppy than that being the colour of the poppies that grew in Flanders fields. And I’m not sure wearing a poppy necessarily implies all that the nay-sayers say it does. But wearing a white poppy seems to be deliberately provocative, yet it is worn in peace.

You can read more about it
here, here, here and here. Then tell me what you think.


Does Remembrance Day glorify war or honour those who died because of it?

4 comments:

MinisterMoo said...

I agree - I honestly don't know anyone who wears the poppy and thinks war and dying is a good thing.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that wearing a poppy and holding remembrance day services reminds us to learn from history. Don't pick fights, but don't leave the defenceless to the mercy of oppressors.

Tina said...

Very well put there Ross. Did you read any of the stuff on the white poppy?

Megs21 said...

This is because the 'Brigades' are just better. I'm including the girl's in here too. They're more traditional and thus teach respect for tradition and also respect for elders. I mean who doesn't respect someone with the title of officer?! All of my friends when I was a kid may have been in the Brownies but they just ran around and played games. GB girls for the win!

Kt Stevenson said...

No child of mine will be in the BB or GB either! Baden-Powell all the way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails