Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Happy New Day


Should auld acquaintance be forgot. Harry was right, ‘what does this song mean? My whole life I don’t know what this song means.’

Today has gone so quickly. And as usual there are million things I didn't get done that I really should have. There are also a million things that I probably shouldn't have done that I did. But tomorrow is a brand new day. There'll be a brand new sunrise and a brand new chance to do things better than yesterday. I like that. Despite all the attention New Year’s gets it really doesn’t have to be the only chance you get to start over.

I don’t know if you make New Year’s resolutions or not. I don’t officially but kind of did when I came back to the Lake. For instance:
-I try to do dishes on a more regular basis, rather than when everything in the kitchen is dirty.
-I try to read my bible everyday. (Although it could just be 'I try to read my bible' at the rate I go at.)
-I dry my toothbrush after I use it. (Oh I sound so odd now – I’m very OCD about toothbrushes in bathrooms. This was not a problem in NI, I had my own sink. But here I have my own bathroom so it needs to be covered, and in the cabinet. But when you put it away wet, it gets all gross. So now I put it away dry. Better without the explanation right?)
-I write notes in church, bible studies and the like. It helps me focus and helps me remember what was said. I might not ever read them again but that option is at least there.

How am I doing? Hmm. Not so good on some, better on some others. For Lent I decided to walk round the lake everyday. This has the benefit of giving me time to think about God stuff too. I have a little playlist just for it (which reminds me, if you are going to sing out loud as you walk, probably best not to do it with people walking behind you. For the entire song. Oh ya ho)

So maybe you decided to give up something for Lent and have already fallen off the wagon, so to speak. Or maybe there’s something that you should have really given up but for some reason you didn’t. You know, like swearing (can’t think who that would apply to!)

But here’s the thing, there’s no reason to wait to change something. You can use all the excuses you want, but really there is no excuse. You just need to change it. Of course me being a Chirstian, I think that doing things in Him are so much easier than doing it in my own strength. I like even more.

The picture illustrates my point perfectly. It was a fake New Year’s we did on 3rd January. Fooled you!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails