Thursday, March 23, 2006

Korea stories (well not really)

Upon reflection I can’t write some of the funniest stories from Seoul here. Not because it is all top secret or anything, but because I don’t think a publicly available website is the place for it. I will happily tell you some of the stories when I next see you. Things you might want to get me talking about are:

- Dodgy dealings
- The trip to a restaurant
- Somebody getting the sack
- Rev. Sleaze and Rev. Rude
- The camera crew

I’m sure that makes it sounds a bit more mysterious and intriguing than it actually was, and when you hear the stories you’ll probably be disappointed so sorry in advance.

So things I can tell you about here? Hmm. Isn’t funny how when put in a them and us kind of situation, the ‘us’ you are part of always draws closer to each other. That was probably the best bit of the trip. Even though I was the youngest on the trip by probably a good twenty years there were loads of laughs when we there. In fairness, most of them were mocking me, but that’s the type of banter I’m used to (I think it's a NI thing).

Some of the things that we laughed about, and are still laughing about now won’t be that funny to you. One of those things you needed to be there for. For example Koreans add the ‘e’ sound to George’s name and call him ‘Georgie’. Yeah, see what I mean?

So the best thing to do in light of stories I can't tell you on here and stories aren't funny on here is to show photos. These will get you started.



This is the church where the conference is being held. Apparently this is the biggest Methodist Church in the world. I’m not in a position to argue, it was HEWGE.


The ground floor seats 5000 people, and the balconies (plural) seat another 5000. There are 100,000 members of the church and we were told some people travel 100 miles to go here. Which brought about the response from Gillian K ‘how many struggling, Methodist or otherwise, churches do they pass on their way?’ Fair point.


The pulpit raises up and automatically rotates during the sermon. Georgie says you don’t even feel it moving, he only noticed when he went to look for Virginia and she wasn’t where he thought she was sitting.

More photies tomorrow.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails