Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Things I love about the USA / North Carolina / the lake

I doubt I’ll get to 100 but here goes…

1. Free refills
2. Phone calls with Megann
3. I live 5 miles away from a ski slope, fair enough I’ve only been there once but it’s still pretty cool
4. Summer ends in November and arrives in April
5. Petrol is dead cheap, although nobody else thinks so!
6. With cable TV I am finally living the dream if having more than five TV channels (yes, even though it’s ten years old you still can’t get Channel 5 in Whitehead. You tell me it's crap, I tell you I want to see for myself!)
7. People instantly like me because I have an accent
8. You can get cinnamon everything
9. Even though I live hundreds of miles away from the sea, there is a lake
10. Some country music isn’t that bad as it turns outs
11. Old Navy
12. The undiscovered art of texting means I actually talk to my friends using my mobile
13. Wal Mart
14. When it rains I actually have to look for my umbrella
15. The Biltmore
16. Pillsbury Cake and Ice Cream
17. Things are cheaper here
18. Waiters and waitresses are trying to impress you and so nothing is too much trouble for them
19. It’s actually quite handy to be able to turn right on a red light
20. All you can eat buffets are common place
21. Mackinac Island
22. Peanut butter is a recognise food group
23. The Mall in DC
24. Y’all is a useful word
25. If I ever have a feel-fat-day, a trip to Wal Mart makes me feel like a supermodel
26. They look after me like a daughter
27. Target
28. A programme like 7th Heaven can actually get made and last for ten years
29. Macaroni and cheese
30. Camp Kinawind
31. I discovered my love of frozen grapes
32. Weather men/ladies actually call themselves meteorologists
33. It’s not one country, it’s a collection of 50+ countries
34. SUVs are nice to travel in
35. They like to confuse foreigners by never making the state capital the city you immediately associate with the state
36. The cross at the lake
37. When you ask for water in a restaurant they don’t immediately assume you mean bottled water
38. It feels like home
39. Names like Y’Lon, Brickhouse (still funny) and John De Ron Johnson don’t even raise an eyebrow here but I can laugh at them
40. I finally know more about football than boys, albeit on a technicality (football/soccer debate)
41. Metaphors don’t exist in country music, they sing it how it is
42. Downtown Greenville
43. Taco Bell
44. You can talk on your mobile and drive legally (and it's really not dangerous because of automatic gears)
45. Getting IDed at bars makes me feel young
46. I can play the ‘Ireland card’ when I don’t understand something, even if being from Ireland has nothing to do with it
47. They don’t believe in parallel parking. Hell, they don’t even trouble you with the effort of turning the wheel all the way because spaces go at slanted angles not perpendicular to the road
48. New York City
49. There’s all sort of nature I’ve never seen before. I’m no ornithologist as I’m about to prove – birds are all sorts of pretty colours, not just the brown kind we get at home.
50. With Extra Watermelon gum you can blow big bubbles

Getting to fifty wasn’t a bad effort! I should imagine they'll offer me citizenship any moment now.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Well that list is clearly in no particular order...Old Navy would be much further up, as well you know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails