Thursday, June 01, 2006

Have I missed the boat?

Am I the last person in the world not to be on My Space and/or Bebo?

Seriously what’s the deal with these things? I don’t really get them. What’s the point of them? I’m not saying that I don’t see any point and therefore am starting a fight with you because you have one. I genuinely am asking the question because I don’t know.


I get those emails from friends telling me to join but why? If you would like to educate me and try to convince me to get one, then perhaps you’d be so kind as to leave a comment pointing out the, no doubt, many advantages. (Also if you could, explain the difference between Bebo and My Space. Is there one? Is one better than the other? I have really have no clue!)

I saw a report on CNN last week about how some colleges here were getting background information on prospective students from their My Space profile. That’s scary. But if you put information about yourself (I include myself in that, I am more than aware I have a blog where I talk about semi-personal things) out there on the world wide web, then you are saying anyone and everyone is welcome to read it. Tough luck.


Which then leads me on to another point – who are you when you think no one is watching? Is that person different to who you are when you know you are being watched?

Now that’s a scary thought too.

2 comments:

MinisterMoo said...

Aah Bebo.

For me, it's an opportunity to stay up to date with people - and keep people up to date with me. I don't use the Blog bit of Bebo because Blogger is Better, but the photos area is handy for folks to share their albums of shared memories.

At the moment its main use for me is to keep in touch with some of the members of our Youth Club, but (as you can see by looking at mine at the moment - rjharte.bebo.com) it's also good for staying connected with teams and such like.

You can keep you Bebo almost completely private, where only the people you have as 'friends' can see your page; or you can open the net wider to let the whole world see.

I don't know much about myspace, except that I don't think I've seen one that looks nice - colours and fonts all over the place!

A considered opinion for you ma'am.

Tina said...

Thanks for your help!

Lots of people tell me I should join, obviously they just want cool Tina listed as a friend. We'll see I guess, should I ever need to fill up my day I might set to and set it up! Y'all be the first to know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails