Friday, February 01, 2008

Stop 12: New York City

I heart NY! Here are some of the highlights:


I went to see Mary Poppins! I was so excited! Mary Poppins was my favourite film growing up, and to be honest, probably still is. It closed last summer in London and I didn't ever see it, so I wasn't about to miss it here too.

It was fantastic, much different to the film, but closer to the books. I sat with a smile on my face the entire time! Now seeing as I'm a Film Critic, I'll also be a Theatre Critic too. Mary Poppins had the worst accent ever. Much I let her away with it, because Dick does in the film.

Even though I really wanted to see it, I didn't want to miss out on time with Michelle by taking up an evening with it, so I went to the matinee. I had to pick up my ticket and then get lunch before the show started. So with my ticket picked up, I set off in search of some fast food. The theatre was on 42nd Street and I walked all the way up to 46th Street before I found a McDonalds. Yeah, so look at the photo again. Shut up. New York is like that. My mum and dad once walked all the way around the Empire State Building looking for it.

I got the Staten Island ferry to...well Staten Island.

Me and another landmark bridge.

I went to see 'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart' filmed. I've only ever seen one other TV programme filmed before...the Kelly Show. Oh yes. This was better. 

Jon Stewart spent some time answering questions from the audience and came across as a really nice guy, he's very quick (which I suppose he should be, a man in his profession). He's also very short (height wise, not rude). 

During a filmed piece, it was cool to watch him laugh along with it. There was one point he was actually bent double laughing. If you have More4, you can see the episode I saw filmed tonight at 8.30pm. Some woman from Time Magazine is on. Not a classic perhaps, but better than that Tricia woman from Heartbeat and the new guy who took over from Roy Walker on Catchphrase that were on Kelly.

Because of the Writers' strike, a special little picket area was set up for them. Very accomodating I thought. 

The show is currently renamed 'A Daily Show with...' because they feel like it's not the same show without their writers. Someone asked a question about that, and Jon said that they were coping alright without them, but they really wanted them back. He was also asked about the Oscars (he's presenting them again this year) and whether he thought they would go ahead. He said that he didn't know. Then he said that he switches between wanting the strike to end tomorrow to get his writers back and wanting it to go on until after the Oscars so he wouldn't have to do it!

In the line, I got talking to the guy beside me. Turns out his wife worked in Belfast a few years ago. 'Oh really?' says me, 'what was she doing?' 'She's a dancer'. He must have seen the puzzlement on my face on why his wife would be brought over to Belfast to dance, not exactly the West End, so he explained further, 'striptease'. Have you ever done that face when you try not to look shocked? Yeah, that was me, 'oh right...cool.'

After the taping, I went to the Rockefeller Centre. They had just or were about to open an Observation Deck to take some of the pressure off the Empire State Building when I was here last September and seeing as I've already done the Empire State a couple of time, I thought would do this instead. Good choice, it was way less crowded.

But of course you can't go far without meeting the Irish. At the top were three ladies from Bangor. One of them asked me what part of America I was from. This has removed the last shred of hope I had with my accent. 

Over the past year I have gotten asked more times than enough where in America I was from. Thinking it was just Singaporeans/Malaysians/Australians not knowing an American accent I didn't worry. But then in the Blue Mountains an actual American asked me. She, you would think, would know an American accent. So I told myself that her ear just wasn't tuned to a NI accent. But the Bangor ladies? They should know a NI accent. So that's it, I now apparently have an American accent. Totally awesome.


Beautiful.

It struck me when I was up there, that I finishing this adventure the way I finished the North Carolina one, with time in New York City. But also the way I started this trip, being totally enamoured by a city all lit up.

1 comment:

Kari said...

The Kelly Show!!!! Dear dear dear! What were we ever thinking?! xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails