Monday, January 16, 2006

Happy birthday to you!

Today is Martin Luther King Day and a Public Holiday. Although it appears that this was a hard fought day. Reading about it on Wikipedia (knowledge is power!) it took a while to get it and today Greenville County in SC (coincidently where Jose lives) is the last US county to give it as a paid public holiday.

Yesterday church started with a clip of Martin Luther King’s famous speech
‘I have a dream’. And no matter how many times you see it or read it, it’s pretty powerful stuff.

The bit that stuck out yesterday is ‘I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character.’

There’s not a lot you can say about racism, well actually there is. It’s horrible, disgusting and just plain wrong. But that's for another time. Yesterday the ‘content of their character’ bit got me thinking.

What is the content of my character? Do I please God with the content of my character? Sometimes I’m not so sure. Is that how I look at other people? By the content of their character? I’m ashamed to say, not always.

Sometimes I discount someone for the tiniest outward thing. Sometimes I think about myself before anyone else gets a look in. Sometimes I find it hard to forgive someone even though they said sorry. Sometimes I take the word of someone about a third person before I find out the truth for myself.

I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who’s like that. But does that make it any better? Failing an exam that the majority of the class failed shouldn’t be much comfort.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails