Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Leaving on a jet plane: Part II

[I wrote this this morning when I still knew what the concept of spare time was. For some reason I didn't post it but now having written it I am squeezing the last out of my remaining hours to put it up. The time at the bottom is accurate, it is 12.35am. My flight is out of City at 7.00am. I do have to get up at 5.00am. And I do still need to pack. Arse.]

So this is it, my last day in NI for another few months. I’ve had such a great time being back, I don’t honestly know where the time has gone. It seems like yesterday I walked into our living room and surprised the parents. But now it’s all over and I need to pack again.

People have been asking me whether I’m enjoying it and am I looking forward to going back. And I suppose the short answer is yes to both. I am enjoying it, it’s not the high life though. I don’t have a thousand new friends and a social life that would make anyone envious. And I am sort of looking forward to going back, well I’m not dreading it. I’m going back and that’s just the reality.


I do feel like it's where it's I'm supposed to be. The fact that I haven't been homesick at all has been super and given my previous homesickness when I have been away I take that as a sign that it's meant to be. I’ve said on more than one occasion since being back ‘when I go home…’, and it truly does feel like home. But I guess at the minute I’m just in that weird position of having two homes that happen to be 4000 miles apart.

But to be honest when I was making the decision on going or not I didn’t really think about post-January part, my whole thinking was whether I could get myself to Christmas and I’ll deal with January when it comes. But it’s here now and I’m going back. Probably for four months. I think the pull of Caroline’s wedding and the practicalities of trying to get some sort of job for September will bring me back in May.

When I think about it now four months seems like an awfully long time and anything could happen in that time. For a start it’ll be summer and the Christmas decorations (plus axe) will long be packed away.

So have a good four months, I’ll maybe see you in May?! Keep in touch, write me emails, if you blog, keep it up. I love hearing news from the auld country. I no doubt will keep you informed of the goings on in Hicksville and my adventures there. I’m excited to go to Wal-Mart to see what novelty clothes will be on sale now. I think they’ll be hard pressed to beat reindeers skiing though. Well there’s not a lot you can do with daffodils.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails