Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Tip for those looking to skive out of studying

Exam season again! I have many a fond memory of studying for university exams. During my university years I discovered one of the best ever reasons not to go back upstairs and revise some more – I had to watch the darts! (I think I could watch nearly any sport at all on TV. I’ve even watched Weightlifting at the Olympics.) But during the first week or so of January, it’s darts. It is fantastic! The crowd, the entrance, the cheering, counting down from 501 (darts players have amazing mathematical minds!) and the tension of hitting the double all make for great skiving. You have to watch a leg to see how it goes. And the beauty of it is another leg follows, getting you out of more work! It's so addictive!

So in an effort to keep up with news from the old world, I was on the BBC Sport website there and was reading about who got knocked out. Ted Hankey, Andy Fordham and John-Boy Walton all gone!! I’m quite worried I won’t know anyone at all now, there’s a new breed. But excitingly you can watch highlights too on the BBC. Hurray for the BBC.

Actually there is a pattern of me getting out of studying to watch sport. During my GCSEs England were playing for the Ashes. There was a Test on the weekend before my Physics exam and I decided that was the perfect time to learn how cricket was played. I actually sat with a dictionary looking up terms like ‘over’ and ‘maiden’. I was totally baffled as to was O M R W meant on the table. But I persevered and got there. And I got a double A in Science. Oh yes!

So try watching the darts, it may help you with your exams!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails