Friday, February 23, 2007

It’s all part of the process

It’s a rare day that goes past where I don’t think about this time last year and my life in America. I really miss it, like really miss it. For example this time last year I was enjoying my full can of Pepsi on my way to Michigan to see Megann. I’ll even just have a little daydream about the normal everyday things, lunch times to Subway to get a Chicken Parmesan Melt, walking around the lake, trashy American TV and the rest.

When I was in NI, I missed NC, but there were enough other things to distract me, (although it was probably a bit of a honeymoon period to be honest). If I were back in NI I’d probably still be harking on about this time last year in America (yes, yes I was in America, did I not tell you?). But that doesn’t really help right now.

Don’t get me wrong, I love teaching here, I love the students and I am grateful for the opportunity of being a new NI teacher and actually teaching. Maybe I just had it too good in America, but I truly didn’t expect to be lonely here. Singaporeans are just so used to ex-pats that I felt that when I arrived no even batted an eyelid. In fact, most people in school don’t even realise that I am new here and that I haven’t been here for X amount of years.

I re-read an email tonight that I got from someone who worked with on the Conference, it reads:

‘How fortunate the school is to get someone like you with your positive attitude and your effervescent personality. I congratulate you on the giant step of faith you are taking to go to Singapore.’

[Effervescent?! I’m thinking they didn’t mean in an Alka-Seltzer kind of way!]

But I suppose that’s the thing, it was a leap of faith to come here, and one that I felt was right for me. I just wish I wasn’t in on a Friday night feeling like some sort of hermit.

Anyhoo, in a change of tone and a realisation that lots of people have it worse than not doing stuff on a Friday night, it has been one year since my ears were pierced! I still get infections. Britney never told me that. And it has been 365 glorious music filled days since myPod came to be! I don’t want to go on about it, because you already know how much I love it, although I did drop it a clunk this week. But thankfully they are resilient little articles and it didn’t even stop playing whatever country song was on. Shut up, I was in America, or didn't you know?

1 comment:

Kaz said...

hey chick,
Hope your feeling a bit more positive about your status out there.
Do u think u'll ever go back to America and live for a bit?...i'm at that stage again, its either try and sort out some kind of house here. Or go Fu*k it, i'm away to Oz to do a photography degree or something lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails