Monday, November 21, 2005

The Emancipation of Tina-Sue

I’ve noticed myself changing in the past month or so since I arrived here. ‘What’s changed Tina?’ I hear you cry.

‘Have you become an even better cook now that you are making all your own dinners every night of the week?’

‘Are you honing your already superior administration skills?’

‘Are you an absolute domestic goddess now you have your own house to take care of?’

‘Have you finally mastered the difference between left and right and can drive with confidence knowing you’re on the right (and the correct) side of the road?’

Sadly the answer all these questions is a firm ‘no’. The change I’ve noticed is that I’ve become a little bit country. For example:

- Last week I watched the Country Music Awards
- I watched the Garth Brooks story on the Country Music Channel (CMT)
- I had the Top Twenty countdown on CMT on when I was cleaning on Saturday
- I watch ‘Reba’, Reba McIntyre’s sitcom
- Maggie and I saw ‘Walk the Line’, the story of Johnny Cash on Saturday night.

You see the thing is, I actually enjoyed all of these things (well Reba is rubbish but watchable enough). I especially liked ‘Walk the Line’. You have to see this film when it comes out back home (I checked to see, February apparently). Seriously, it is such a good story and Reese Witherspoon acts her socks off in it. Definitely see this film.


The first time I was in America (we were in Yukon, OK, Garth’s hometown – how appropriate) I was given my country name of Tina-Sue Garrrrr-nett. To this day some members of the team will still call me that. But it seems like Tina-Sue has finally been set free and is starting to take over me. This is a worrying development. Although, thankfully, Tina-Sue has yet to look for a country radio station to listen to.

In exactly one month’s time I will be home for Christmas and it cannot come a moment too soon. I need to get myself out of this country air. Quickly.

But maybe some of you could look into some sort of rehab facility that I could check into upon my return. Thanks.

4 comments:

Nicky said...

can u grow pumpkins were u live?

Tina said...

What?!

That is perhaps the oddest question I have ever been asked.

And in answer to your odd question, I imagine so, although I haven't tried.

maxwell's house said...

Tina-Sue,
welcome to the dark side - living in the States for any length of time and it had to happen!!!
I'm off to Peru this morning, speak to you from there!!
Emmy-Lou!!

MinisterMoo said...

as one of the people who has had great difficulty in calling you anything other than Tina-Sue BarNETT, I congratulate you on stepping into the destiny of your name.

Related Posts with Thumbnails