Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Citius, Altius, Fortius (but only if you are American)

I have heard unconfirmed reports that the Winter Olympics actually has athletes from all sorts of countries, not just the US. Is this true? Can anyone could confirm this?

I love the Olympics. But I’ve decided that I also love the BBC’s coverage of it. NBC have the rights over here and the adverts wear me down. Well not only that, but also the ra-ra Amer-i-ca theme which runs through the coverage. I suppose the BBC does the same thing at home, only shows you contenders for medals and how the home athletes do.

I didn’t see the Opening Ceremony and I think that might mean I have missed my chance to see any British athletes whatsoever. Well, they’re not really contenders for medals are they? So why would NBC show them? Americans have too many other sports they are good at in the Winter Olympics, snowboarding, skiing, figure skating… Our only real prospect of a medal in Curling doesn’t really get a look in. Mind you the curse of the BBC will probably scupper that plan anyway.

The curse is something Mum and I discovered during the Atlanta Games. They were a woeful Games for Britain, and in order to try and whip up a bit of enthusiasm, hope and no doubt viewers the BBC talked up every British athlete to a ‘medal hope’ or if you were really unlucky a ‘gold medal chance’. This of course ruined any chance of a medal for that particular athlete. Injuries, bad tactics and just plain old misfortune banjacksed their chances. Well, that and the curse.

The curse is still around and one name proves my point. Paula Radcliffe. Mystery illness? My foot! Tough course and extreme heat? Yeah right! The gold medal was all but hers until the BBC cursed her! So maybe it’s a good thing I can’t watch the BBC after all?

Although maybe it doesn’t extend to the BBC website? I hope not because that is how I am going to get my Olympics news. There are no adverts for a start.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails